Getting ready to launch-out on some prolonged meditations regarding the New Evangelization. Several sermons on the subject will be coming your way, for at least the next month.
But the words of one of the Holy Apostles will do us much more good than anything I myself could come up with. So, in honor of his feastday, I have culled fourteen sayings of St. James, which I think might help us, as we strive to do our part to bring about the New Evangelization.
1. All good giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights…He willed to give us birth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of his creation.
2. The wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.
3. Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials.
4. Be patient until the coming of the Lord.
5. You have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow.
6. If anyone thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue, his religion is vain.
7. Let your ‘Yes’ mean yes, and your ‘No’ no.
8. Confess your sins, and pray for one another.
9. Do not speak evil of one another.
10. Judgment is merciless upon one who has not shown mercy.
11. Just as a body without a spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead.
12. Pure religion is this: care for orphans and widows, and keep yourself unstained by the world.
13. Show no partiality.
14. Whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.
Citations: James 1:18, 3:17-18, 1:1, 5:7, 4:14, 1:26, 5:12, 5:16, 4:11, 2:13, 2:26, 1:27, 2:1, 5:20